11/02/2011

Jack Daniels [Whiskey Taste #18]

Regardless of the growing amount of traffic to my blog, this blog is intended for myself first---you get the enjoyment of peering into my head with vicarious amazement. I was never much of a journal-er, so this is my way to export thoughts from my head and re-live them from time-to-time.

For instance, at first glance all of my whiskey reviews are visually repetitive, but there is a reason to my patterns. The point of these reviews are to taste the whiskey, not stare at the bottle. Yet every time I photograph a bottle I am careful to surround it with organic elements that mimic the very drink itself. Corn, wood, autumn colors---these are the essence of whiskey flavors converted into a visual palette. Okay, I have sidetracked long enough, its time to taste a classic. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7.

jack-daniels-number-9  

There are only a handful of drinks that are iconic enough to represent an era, a region, or a way of life---Coca Cola, Budweiser, and Jack Daniel's. In fact, Jack Daniel's is the number one most sold whiskey in the world

Jack Daniel's has been distilled in Lynchburg, Tennessee since 1875 and survived two dry spells (prohibition and a brief period during WWII). There are three major factors that distinguish Jack Daniel's flavor: a Corn-based dram (and sour mash), charcoal filtration, and American Oak Casks. 

Jack Daniel's is an exciting (and accessible) taste that starts with a smoky aroma followed by sweet caramel and spicy pepper---which are perfectly balanced. Jack Daniel's flavors may not be as complex as other fine bourbons or whiskies, but you could go to any restaraunt or bar in the world and they could serve you Jack Daniel's. For any occasion, you should try a bottle of this iconic whiskey.  

No comments: